Monday, January 19, 2009

Einstein : Ian Ruhter Thought Experiment 1 of 4





"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth."  (said of Mohandas Gandhi)
 - Albert Einstein

" Carefully watch your thoughts, for they become your words. Manage and watch your words, for they will become your actions. Consider and monitor your actions, for they have become your habits. Acknowledge and watch your habits, for they shall become your values. Understand and embrace your values, for they become your destiny."
- Mohandas Gandhi

These are two of the greatest individuals that have ever lived. As I've been learning about them, it's opened up many questions in my own mind. I was wondering if you could take Gandhi's quote and apply it to the theory of relativity, E = MC^2. 

My thoughts are, E = MC^2  is... if energy = mass then when a person thinks so much that they're physically drained, they've created energy with those thoughts. Is it possible that that energy could, or does take on the form of mass, meaning a physical presence? Is your thought shooting out into the universe like a beam of light? Is it possible to think things into physical existence? One example that I can think of is the urban legend of a 90lb mother lifting a car off of her trapped child. Someone could say that this is an issue of chemistry, but I feel that if someone wasn't a trained athlete, and they were holding 2000lbs, then their arms would be ripped right off of their body. I think that her thoughts are so strong that she doesn't question, "Can I do this?", it just has to be done. This theory could also be applied to any miracle. 

The reason I'm talking about thoughts and miracles is because of the "Enabled" project that I'm working on with the disabled athletes. After filming them for the documentary portion and hearing their stories, I've started to ask questions based upon things they were telling me. For example, one of the athletes was in a life-threatening accident, and he told me that he actually used meditation to save his own life. He also told me that he could feel himself drifting off to the other side. I believe that because he was able to control his thoughts he overcame his battle with life and death. 

(A thought experiment is an experiment that is carried out in the realm of the imagination, or in a dream-like state.)
                                         Albert Einstein 

No comments: