Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Forum/FQS/Special Blend/Catalog shoot...

Here is a quick behind the scenes look at the catalog shoots we did this week. I can’t show too much until the catalogs come out. I would like to thank everyone who was involved with our shoot. Bryan Knox/Forum, David Friend/Forum, John Alvino/PLY ,Erik Petersen/JDK, Andi Elloway/PLY, Mark McClanahan/Lighting, Tim Peare/Photography, Kyle Schwartz/Video, The Forum Team, Thania Peck/Model, Anne Molin/Model, Kayla Pringle/Model, Kristi Kimartin /Intern, Lauren Randolph/Intern. The shoot was a success thank to all of you!

We used some old cameras on this shoot to give the photos a unique look. I’m super stoked on the portraits we got from this shoot. I can’t wait to post them.

We set the fog machine off to test a look for the Special Blend Catalog. The owner of the studio got a call from someone telling her the studio is on fire. She rushed down and found the place filled with fog. She was cool about it and just laughed.

My gaffer Mark is using a mirror to bounce light on to Eddie Wall's face. He knows all the tricks every great photo comes down to the smallest of details.



My good old 4x5 camera. I had to dust this one off. We have not worked together in some time. People collect these cameras so they can look at them on the mantel above the fireplace. These cameras give you a look that cannot be matched by any digital camera or hours of photoshop. The portraits and photos that we got from this beauty are insane!!!!!

Things got interesting for a while because I was shooting with three cameras with different film in each of them. As I shot one camera I was passing another one. It was hard to keep track of what I was doing.

Setting up the light for our studio shoot.

This is a funny photo because we are shooting a snowboard catalog standing on a skate ramp in southern California. That is the beauty of photography. Nobody will ever know. But you have to laugh at the irony of it.

We had to do a ton of rigging for the lights used for the S.B shoot. It was worth it. The photos from this shoot are truly unique. I have never shoot anything like this.

This is my friend John sitting behind me. He was also the art director for this shoot. This is a good example of having some one on your back all day. Ha ha. He was actually really good to work with. He gave me a lot of creative freedom. I have had art directors and clients that have been behind me all day to the point where it actually started to compromise the shoot. This was not the case here but it looks like it in this shot.

4 comments:

Daniel Ochoa said...

I dig it. Can't wait to see the finals. pretty amazing how many cameras your throwing around on this one...humbling really.

The Beauty Thesis said...

I can only dream to make my pictures tell a story. Snow in LA? Priceless, can't wait to see the finals.

Kandee Johnson said...

man! I wish I would've been there...a part of the Ruh-team!!! i can't wait to see!!!

pinkcherrymama said...

looks like so much fun! i would give my right ear for one of those old cameras...and it wouldn't sit on my mantle :) ok, maybe i wouldn't give my right ear...but i really, really like them!