Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wet Plate Collodion Bobby and Carolyn

I often say my photos are about me and there is rarely a time when I shoot something just for the sake of taking a photo. I had my camera set up on the corner of 5th and Main, shooting photos of the buildings and this couple caught my eye. I watched them for hours as I collected my images and absorbed the area. Later in the day my good friend Tait Hawes showed up to check out the wet plate process. Tait is an Art Director over at Vans and we have forged a super solid friendship over the past couple of years working together. He is easily one of the most talented Art Director I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Now that Tait was  around I wanted to shoot some of my favorite stock (people); but after shooting inanimate objects and kind of just working some stuff out in my head, I found myself a little timid. I told Tait I wanted to shoot the couple across the street and with no hesitation he was leading the charge, helping me set up this shot with Bobby and Carolyn Williams. Sometimes you get by with a little help from your friends.  Thanks Homie.


The image captures a very strong connection. This project I am shooting in Downtown Los Angeles is all about connections. The message is that we are all connected in one-way or another. When I observed Bobby and Carolyn they reminded me of my grandparents; (who were together for over 65 years). They stuck together through thick and thin. These days I feel like people just give up on things, especially commitments. If it doesn’t shake out the way we want, we figure we’ll just go out and find something new. This bothers me because I find most of the connections I make with girls end up this way. I guess I’ve been searching for a Bonnie to match my Clyde (a Carolyn for my Bobby). You look at this couple and can see there’s been some hardships; but no matter what they are going to stick it out. This is what unconditional love looks like to me. This is what I seek in my life.



Photo: Bobby and Carolyn Williams (click image to enlarge)
Location: 5th and Main


1 comment:

cheap custom writing service said...

You know collodion and ether can dissolve some types of plastics. I usually use glass vessels